Open Late. The Longest Night
We will join eight other Christchurch galleries to brighten up the longest night of the year!
PG gallery192, The Physics Room, Christchurch Art Gallery Te Puna o Waiwhetu, The Central, Nadene Milne Gallery, Chambers Art Gallery, The National, City Art Depot, Form Gallery, Jonathan Smart Gallery, and Ilam Campus Gallery will be open until 9.00pm, with a free shuttle service operating around the circuit.
The event doubles as a launch of the 2017 Christchurch Art Map designed by Jessica Tabke and printed by MK Press. Copies of the map can be picked up at any of the participating galleries.
The schedule for the evening includes:
6pm: City Art Depot: Artist Talk by Charlotte Watson on her exhibition, Place of Return
6pm: Christchurch Art Gallery: Friends of Christchurch Art Gallery Speaker of the Month, Jenny Harper.
6pm: CoCA: Performance by Mark Harvey, Harvey is The Social's caravan resident this week in association with the NOMAD (Thinking) residency in Switzerland.
7pm: Nadene Milne Gallery, Floor Talk ‘Why Contemporary Art?’ with Nadene Milne
7.15pm: Christchurch Art Gallery: Regularly scheduled gallery tour
7.45pm: Christchurch Art Gallery: Les Baxters performance
8pm: The Central: Fiona Van Oyen, artist talk
In addition to these scheduled events, Kristin Hollis will be at Jonathan Smart Gallery throughout the evening to discuss her current exhibition, unpicked, with visitors.
- CoCA will host the Social as they set up their drawing machine.
- Chambers Art will have a Stock Show with Open Studios and resident artists will be in their studios.
- Fiona Van Oyen will be at The Central through the evening to discuss her current exhibition, Landskin. Artist Jacquelyn Greenbank will be at The National with her exhibition ‘The Burt Brailsford Ethnoarchaelogical Studies’.
- The Physics Room will be encouraging those visiting to vote for their favourite artist in the People's Choice Award for Riff Raff's Fffuture Fffocused Art Prize.
- Christchurch Art Gallery will have a pop-up bar from 6–9pm and CoCA will have a cash bar until 8.30pm.
'Toro Whakaara' Walk Series: Jessica Halliday uncovers hostile architecture
Wednesday, 09 February
'Toro Whakaara': Edith Amituanai and Tim Veling in conversation
Thursday, 10 February
'Toro Whakaara' Closing Party
Friday, 11 February
'Toro Whakaara' Fest: Felt Drawing with Kirsty Lillico
Saturday, 12 February